Brassphemy pt. 1 - Inferno

The 90's were a curious time. Platform flip flops. Denim on denim. Oh, and baby doll dresses over t-shirts... remember those?


While neon accents and crop tops may be sneaking back into the wardrobe of the youths today, do you know what should just go away now? Shiny. Gold. Brass.

It looks like... brass.

Ick. Oh god, there is just so much of this stuff in my house. If there is one thing that really aged the house after the appliances, it is this stuff. With the appliances replaced and looking good, I am currently on a mission to exorcise the brass from my home.

I toyed with the idea of just toning it down in a more 2018 kind of way, but I'm sorry. I just think this one is dated as hell. I imagine this is how people will feel 20 years from now about rose gold fixtures. It just needs to go.

For now, I am satisfied with removing the worst offenders: the light fixtures. First up: the kitchen. With everything else coming along so nicely, it was time to take a good hard look at that loud eyesore. It's actually not a bad looking fixture for a flush mount, and to buy a whole new one in a finish that matches the other hardware we are putting in is going to be about $65 a pop.  I'm sure by now, you see where this is going...

Yup, I googled and pinterested, and found a way to save $185.

I started by unscrewing the whole thing and removing the glass piece and taping over all of it.

This is also the return of the best damn spray paint ever, with an assist from an automotive primer in black. This cost a grand total of $10 including tax.

Welcome back, Oil-Rubbed Bronze.
I taped off all the glass with some leftover painters tape. I then took an Amazon box and an old egg carton, and I waited for a mild day where I could go to town.

I didn't know how to remove the light fixture entirely, so I taped off a large portion of the ceiling and covered it in leftover paper from when I bought a bunch of glass at target.

I started with a primer coat, let dry for 20 minutes, and then went over the rest of the pieces for two coats. I then let them dry completely (this took a week for the fixture because I was trying to figure out a way to finish it off, and an hour for the base because at that point, everything was close to done). I then had to go over the fixture with some cotton, cotton swabs, a t-shirt rag, and some nail polish remover to get rid of overspray. Pro tip: wait for a NOT windy day.


I think it ties together nicely. The new fixtures would have cost $195. Not a terrible price, but why throw away a perfectly good fixture when you can just... fix... it? Hahahaha. I crack myself up.
I also I may have inhaled too much spray paint fumes.

Until next time!
~K

Comments

Popular Posts