No Miter-Saw, Renter-Friendly, Builder Mirror Upgrade

Welcome back all. Sorry for the hiatus, we did a major upgrade (added a new heater and a central AC unit), but because we contracted out the work to professionals for that one, I didn't post anything about it.

But, now I'm back to show you how to upgrade your bathroom for $30.00 or less by framing the builder-grade mirror.

Can you spot it?

Like many of you, we have those ugly-ass builder grade mirrors in our bathroom. You know the ones. The ones that look just sloppy and unfinished. I hate them.

This is my before from the final walk-through.
Also I'm clearly visible in the photo, so "hi"! 
 Yeah, this sucks. The rest of the bathroom is okay, but this... just no.

After searching around for some ideas online, I decided to go with an idea from this blog. I wanted to do something I could swap out if we ended up hating it, so I figured I'd had luck with command strips and would do a renter-friendly version to start with.

So, to Home Depot I go, and I pick up these supplies:



For those who don't speak cash register, that is:

  • Medium Command Picture Hanging Strips: $5.96
  • Large Command Picture Hanging Strips: $3.98
  • Pine Rosettes x4: $6.32
  • Crown Moulding cut to size in store, est length=10ft: $9.10. 
I didn't end up using the clear silicone caulking you see in the middle for the renter-friendly version.

I started by painting those pine rosettes with a pop of dark blue we had leftover from painting the man-cave. I kept them a little raw by only using one coat for some visual interest and texture. 
Sorry for the sink peeking out in the left corner.
From there, it was as easy as sticking the picture strips on the back, and sticking them on the mirror. I found that starting on the bottom, adding the rosettes, doing the sides, lining up the top, and finishing with the top rosettes was easiest to get level using the eyeball method.
Supplies before.

And there you have it, so easy.
Ta-da!

We really like it, and when I put it on permanently, I'll post an update! In the meantime, let me know your thoughts in the comments.

Comments