Hickory Dickory Dock...

So here's a question for you. Who in their right mind pays $289$200$107, or $105 for a wall clock?!

Gotcha!
Yeah, no. Definitely not me. I am not wealthy and cannot throw that kind of money around for a wall clock.

I found this baby at the ARC for $15. I also learned there is a very aggressive 8:00a line for the ARC on Saturdays now. Again, 2017. Twilight Zone.

The total cost was a bit more, because when you buy a $100+ clock at ARC for the low price of $15, chances are someone donated it because it broke and they didn't know how to fix it. Sure enough, the clock hands were damaged and when I popped open this baby's clock movement I found the battery had leaked all in that thing. I tried to bend back the hands and replace the battery but it was still busted. I'm sure at this point, normal people would return the clock for store credit to the ARC.

But... I am the girl that repaired the loose pencil sharpener with a library card in the third grade. I am not normal people.

So, for the low cost of $7.99 for a new clock movement, $10.99 for new hands, a spare washer and 15 minutes, I got a new expensive-looking wall clock. Hickory Dickory Dock, this mouse got a $100-300 clock for about $34 (o'clock? Yeah, this one got away from me).

It was surprisingly easy. Just loosen the movement, pop it off, replace the movement, pop on the hour hand, pop on a washer, pop on the minute hand, and then secure the hands with the little nut that is included in the repair kit.

That, my friends, is worth waiting in line at the thrift store at 8a.

This piece now lives on our wall, where it keeps the time and reminds me that a little googling and some elbow grease is how you make a house a home.

Ta-da!

Comments

Popular Posts