Ikea Kallax Hack


That's right, I'm back on that sweet, sweet Ikea. Except this time, I'm cutting that ish with some upgrades from the hardware store. What? No you have a problem. I swear, I can stop anytime I want.

Today, we are looking at that old Ikea standby. That's right, the old, the reliable, the cliche.
The Kallax.
Photo courtesy Ikea.com, because I kid you not that's how they staged it.
We have a fairly small entryway, and after a long shift at work, it has a nasty habit of collecting the dreaded "c" word... Clutter.  Clutter gives me defcon 5 anxiety levels.

Thus, I was determined we would get a mudroom out of our entry way, but... oh right...


... it's kind of an awkward space.

Enter the Kallax hack. So here's how you do it, and here's what it costs.

Cost:

  • Go to Ikea and buy a Kallax 4 shelf unit. They pretty regularly go for about $45. If you aren't pressed for time or if you luck out, these seem to go on sale right about back to school time. I was able to get a 20% discount through my Ikea Family card, so mine cost $35.  
  • I then stopped by Home Depot and got the other things that this project calls for: Legs. 
    • I went with 4 solid hardwood American Pro "bun foot" style legs in a cylinder shape because it was inexpensive and looked like a high quality product. These cost about $5 a pop, and come in all kinds of fun shapes. 
    • I also got 4 Waddell Heavy Duty Top Plates. These are $3 and come with all the hardware you will need. 
  • I took my leftover spray paint from the bar cart project and sprayed the feet a metallic silver. I didn't care if it was an exact color match, just something dark that won't look wonky or clash. They came out pretty well. I didn't have to pay anything for this. 
  • Total=$67, give or take. 
Instructions:
  • Start by assembling your Kallax according to instructions.
  • Choose whatever side you are using for the bottom, and align top plates where you are securing your feet. Make sure that little round thing faces up. I chose to put mine in the corners just inside the area where the boards join. 
  • Secure them with the included screws. 
  • Thread feet into the little hole, and tighten until secure. 
That's all there is to it. Keep in mind, the higher you go, the less sturdy, so make sure to practice safe Ikea and secure it to the wall. I will probably be adding a cushion and some artwork, and will update again with a cushion hack, and then when the entryway-to-mudroom renovation is finished. 

Until next time!
~K

Comments

Popular Posts