Ikea Hack Bar Cart

It's time to jump back in to the blog, and today for your consideration, I present my first Ikea hack!



A couple weeks ago, Bob and I realized that we had a problem.

Not a drinking problem, per se, but a drinking storage problem. That's right. Too much booze, with nowhere to store it.

This was a problem indeed, since space is at a premium in our house. After browsing a number of stores for bar carts that are obscenely expensive (yes, like $140 minimum) and not finding something I loved to that tune, I turned to my best friend Pinterest for some DIY ideas.

I kept seeing these shiny gold bar carts that don't really fit with the look we have, and after picking and choosing, we decided on a cast-iron and marble look.

I began with an Ikea Sunnersta cart for - get this - $29.99. Yeah, it kind of looks like it costs $29.99, doesn't it?
Photo courtesy Ikea.com
I somehow crammed that flat pack into a 2 door Honda Civic, and went on my merry way home.

Next, it was time to spray paint that bish. I started with primer just to be safe (that's the rust red stuff in the picture above). This stuff is awesome, by the way. I probably would have been fine with just the paint only, but didn't want to push my luck. I used this type of spray paint, and now I kinda want to spray paint everything with it.
That's Rust-Oleum Metallic (Oil Rubbed Bronze)
I messed up and put the cart together, only to have to take it apart to put on the marble contact paper.
In my defense, I was very distracted by life
So then I took the cart apart and put the marble contact paper on.

And voila!


I think it turned out pretty classy, myself. What do you think?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts