Hacking the Bekvam

Hi there friends!

Happy holidays! It has been a bit since I posted because the last month has been a time of unanticipated expenses around here. The holidays are always a bit of a squeeze on the budget, but this year my car's clutch went out so that threw a wrench in the upgrades around the house. I was hoping to get to show you the new appliances, but they ended up on back-order so that is going to have to wait too.

In the meantime, I decided to get started on a project that has been on the back burner for awhile. Upgrading our Bekvam ikea cart. If you're interested, you can buy the cart from Ikea for $59.99.

This one is so easy, it's basically cheating.
I bought the Bekvam cart a few years ago when I moved into a studio and found that I have WAAAYYY too much kitchen stuff to fit in a reasonably sized kitchen. The cart became an extension of my kitchen and I've been meaning to pretty it up for awhile.

So I put some paint on it.

Literally.

Yes, I do have Fixer Upper on in the background for inspiration. This is the cart with just the primer coat. 

That's all it took, really. I used some of the extra eggshell paint from our walls to use as a primer, and then painted the legs with some extra semi-gloss that we used in the bathroom and kitchen.


 I then used some cutting board butter that I make to keep my cutting board and my wood kitchen utensils in good shape on the top to finish the birch wood off. For this, you just rub the butter into the wood and leave overnight before wiping off the wood with a damp cloth.

Because I liked the idea of hanging things from the cart to make a portable cutting station when Bob and I cook together, I used my drill to screw on an old Ikea rail. I added a cup hook to the left to hold the bag where I keep onions and garlic, and a few screws to hold the trivet, and voila.

The finished project
This one cost me a grand total of $0.

As always, let me know your thoughts. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and I look forward to crafting and DIY'ing our way into 2018!!

Comments

Popular Posts