Shantay, Sachet

Shantay, Sachet.

Ok, ok, that's not how it really goes, and this post isn't about drag queens or Rupaul. It's about how to make a sachet. What is a sachet you, blog post reader, ask the universe? This, I answer awkwardly anticipating your question:

This 'lil guy here.

Our garden has been flourishing, and before leaving for vacation a few weekends back I was able to bunch and dry a bunch of chocolate mint and a bunch of lemon balm. As I was thinking of things to do with it, I happened to have a bunch of extra sheets I was folding. 1+1=2 and voila! Decided to make some Sachets.

Luckily, I have a ton of extra fabric from craft projects in the past, and a bunch of random ribbon that I buy because it's like $0.25 when on sale.

My name is Kimie, and I have a craft store problem.

Supplies you will need:

  • Cutting implements, either shears or quilting roller.
  • Measuring implements
  • Needle
  • Thread
  • Polyester Ribbon
  • Nice-smelling herbs
  • Rice (optional)
  • Essential oils (optional)
  • Sewing Machine (optional)

I impulse bought like 99% of this stuff.
Instructions:

I started by cutting out two 6x6 squares of fabric. You can make these as big or small as you like. I used my quilting material cutter, but you can also just use shears.

A better blogger would have ironed the material first, but...
 I hate ironing, so I just smooth out my mistakes later.

I next pinned the edges together to make it easier to seam.


Seam the material on two sides. If you have sewing machine skills, you can do this on a machine. I have tried to learn machine sewing, but I suck at it, so I just used a backstitch using very small stitches.

Continue on three sides, making sure to leave an area to thread a ribbon through at the top seam. For this one, since you will see it, I pinned it like this and used a small running seam.


This is the part where you get to play with fire, literally.  Cut a length of ribbon roughly one and a half times the size of your work, or long enough to thread through with a good tail. Hold the edge of the ribbon about a cm away from the middle of the flame, and sear the edges. Thread through the top with a safety pin. Knot the edges of the ribbon. If you need to trim and re-sear, go for it. 


Turn right-side-out, fill with herbs. Alternately, you can fill with rice scented with a few drops of essential oil. I decided to mix the two strategies, but play around with it until you find something you like.

Store in a cool, dry place. I double up the ribbon around the top and put mine with those fresh-folded sheets. 

Comments

Popular Posts